About Me

My photo
WA, United States
I home school my kids, highly involved in my church, love to read, drink tea, and design tags.

Books I am reading now

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Verse of the Day

Friday, September 30, 2011

Just in General

It's been a week since our fire.  Oh, I never told you about the fire did I?  I suppose I should before I move on.

Last week, I believe it was Friday morning at almost 1 am, I woke up to my sister-in-law yelling for my husband.  She lives right next door to us.  I wondered why she was yelling.  When I looked out the window, it was really foggy.  I thought to myself, that's not right.

I opened the door and she told me that our garage was on fire. I saw the fire then, just starting to lick through the walls of the garage, just feet from where the kids and I were sleeping on the couch in my Living Room.  I ran in and woke up Greg and then called 911.  I had the kids grab some clothes and get out on the porch away from the garage.  Greg started up our lawn hose and sprayed the flames that were crawling up the rafters by then.

Amazingly, he got the flames extinguished before the firemen had to turn on their hoses.  It was quite a fire to get it out with our garden hose!  I was surprised!  I think some of the firemen were too.  They jokingly offered Greg a job.

But all jokes aside, it was a horrifying experience.  It was all so surreal.

Thankfully, the Lord Jesus was looking out for us.  None of us were harmed and the fire was out before too much damage could be done.  I have thanked God so many times for helping us and keeping us safe so many times, I can't even tell you how many!

So, moving on....

We all spent some time after that re-imagining the fire and being a little scared of another one.  I think that is normal and a process that we would have to go through to react to and healthily get through an event like that.  The kids were very scared, but they dealt with it better than the fear of the wind that brought the tree down on our house last Autumn.

Which, by the way, we had some gusts here last week and I was a little nervous.....

Our homeschooling has gone great this week!  We have been enjoying everything that we are learning with the exception of English.  Stinky doesn't like that subject too well.  But we plod through!

We've spent this last week learning more about Julius Caesar and Cleopatra.  We are reading the book Cleopatra VII Daughter of the Nile Egypt, 57 B.C. by Kristiana Gregory.  This is part of the Scholastic The Royal Diaries Series.  These are good books to use as a fun supplement to lessons I think.  They are fiction, but based on the real stuff.  This is the first book that we've been able to use with History because we are learning History in chronological order and this is the earliest book in the series.

I just love learning about this time period and the Romans.  Also the Egyptians.  Actually, I just love History!

We just finished yesterday our 5 Senses study in Science.  Monday we start Light for Day One of Creation!  We are learning the first half of our Science through Creation.  This is very exciting to me!  We will be doing this study, hopefully, for 3 of our Science years.  There are projects for 3 different age groups.  The book that I am using is called Science in the Creation Week for grades 2-5.

I just love homeschooling!  It is so much fun and so rewarding.  I love having my kids here all of the time!  I am thankful for this opportunity.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails