About Me

My photo
WA, United States
I home school my kids, highly involved in my church, love to read, drink tea, and design tags.

Books I am reading now

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Verse of the Day

Monday, January 24, 2011

My 2010 Reading Challenge

I have chosen a reading challenge for myself this year.  Last year my reading challenge was to read 50 books and I read 59.  The year before my challenge was to go through the alphabet with book titles.  I didn't do that one all of the way.  I gave up because I was getting stuck with boring books for Z and O. 
This year I decided that I wanted to have another challenge, but I didn't want it to be as difficult as the alphabet thing.  I am going to read all of the books in the Left Behind series.  I might even stretch it out to the teen series and the new series that goes before they were left behind.  It depends on how well I do.  Right now it's just the Left Behind series for adults.  I have started collecting all of the books from paperbackswap.com and have made it all the way up to book 10 so far.  Now I just have to start reading them.  I don't know if I'll get to it this month.  I am reading 2 books right now.
The first one that I am reading is a pretty heavy book.  Literally.  It's a 806 page hardback called The Faith: A History of Christianity by Brian Moynahan.  I am currently on page 213.  I have just started to make a dent in it.  It's an interesting book really.  The only thing that bothers me is it is written as if I already know the people that I'm reading about.  I don't know the majority of them.  So I am lost as to whom these people are.  But I guess to do a history of Christianity, it would be a huge book to go into more detail than this one does.  I don't know when I'll finish this book.  I started it January 5, so tomorrow I will have been reading it for 20 days. 
Then I needed a book that I understood, doesn't take a lot of concentration to understand or follow and that I enjoy.  So I had to choose a fiction by Dean Koontz.  Now I know that he's not exactly Christian material reading, but I have always liked his suspense novels.  They keep me on the edge of my seat.  I have read the first 2 novels in this series so I have to read the third and last to know what happens!  I am reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Dead and Alive.  Oh and what a bummer I just found out.  This is not the last of the series.  There are 5 book.  That means I will not find out the ending until I read the other 2!  I will have to do that!
I want to hurry and finish one of these books though because I have a really great book waiting for me to review.  I want to read this book and the other books in this series.  It's called Sabbath by Dan B. Allender.  This book is part of The Ancient Practices Series.  The whole series is found here and it even explains it a little.  I really want to own this whole series.  That is, if they are good.  We'll have to wait and see.  The next one I would like to read is Fasting and if I hurry, I can get that for a review also!
The Dean Koontz book won't take me long to read because it is so good.  Once I sit down to read it I get hooked and read a lot at once.  I am almost a third of the way through it now and I haven't been reading it nearly as much as The Faith.
I decided that this year I will not publish my reading list right away and add to it as I go through the year because then by the end of the year, no one sees it.  So if you'd like to see the list of books that I read last year, you can go here.  This year I will just make a draft of my list and  post the whole list at the end of the year.  I think I will also do monthly reading lists......maybe with my Amazon widget.....I love to use that on my homeschool blog.
After I finish Sabbath, I can start reading The Left Behind series.  I have read books 1-8 before.  Or maybe it was up to 6.  It was quite a few years ago and I don't remember.    I figured it would be best to just start over and refresh my memory anyways.  I like to do that when I read a series too far apart.  I don't have any book reviews after Sabbath either until I get the other 2 in the mail.
I am reviewing books for 4 companies now.  Three of them are for Christian book publishers and the fourth is done on my homeschool blog for The Gabby Moms.  I signed up to do that for a whole year and I get something to review every month.  This month I reviewed a book by TEACH Magazine called True Treasures.  You can check it out here, on my blog Teaching At Home in a Christian Way.
It is currently 10:08pm here at my house.  I think that my kids are finally asleep and I can lay down and read the night away.  Well, as long as I can stay up I guess.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails