About Me

My photo
WA, United States
I home school my kids, highly involved in my church, love to read, drink tea, and design tags.

Books I am reading now

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Verse of the Day

Monday, August 9, 2010

Going Green

Today, right after I was done doing my devotions, I decided to look in the Bible for a blog topic.  My search started with the word green, for the NaBloPoMo theme for August.  What I found was particularly interesting to me, and I think even pertains to us in these days.
My small concordance had one verse in it for the word "green".  It referred me to Luke 22:31.
For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?
That verse in itself made absolutely no sense to me.  So I backed up a few verses and read more from Luke 22, starting with verse 26:
And as they led him away, the laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus. 
So now I know, this is Jesus' walk up to the cross.  I kept on reading:
27 And there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him.  28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.  29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.  30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.  31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?
My study Bible says that Jesus is referring to himself, the perfect Lamb of God as a green tree.  A green tree is a new tree, right?  A babe tree.  A baby is innocent.  Jesus was innocent and brought to the cross  to die in his innocence.  If they could do that to someone who was innocent, what would be done to those trees that are dry?  Who are the dry trees?  The Jews.  They had committed this heinous sin and mockery of our Lord Jesus, who was innocent.  Green.  Think of the sins that will befall them!  The horrors that they would see during the time of war.  

After this thought occurred to me, I prayed.  
Lord, please show me if this is a devotion that You want me to blog about.  If this is something that you want me to do, please allow Your words to flow from my fingertips.  In Jesus' name, Amen.
Here is where I tie this together with us.  Have you ever thought in our troublesome times that those who are not able to have kids may actually be the lucky ones?  Now think of this with me for a moment.  I am not saying that those of us with beautiful children that we love are not lucky because we all know that the Bible tells us that children are a gift from God.  My point is that myself and other parents that I have spoken to about this, agree that it is sad that we are bringing up children in such a horrible world.  The world just continues to get scarier and scarier.  More and more dangerous.  I imagine that there will be times when we will be so scared for the safety of our children, that we may be filled with sadness that we have brought them up during these times.  
But here is where we trust in the Lord.  For he is our Refuge, our Shelter, our Savior and Redeemer.  He will take care of us and He is always with us.  As we place our trust in Him, we do not have to look back with fear, sadness or regret that we have had children in this chaotic world.  We can be blessed with the knowledge that God granted us these children because He knows what is going on!  He has the plans, not us!  We MUST place our trust in Him to lead us, guide us, protect us and love us!  There is no other option as a Christian.  When you fear, you don't trust.  There is not room for both together in your heart.  Be strong in the Lord and raise your children to love Him and trust Him.
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails